Sunday, August 1, 2010

The End of a Branch

I realized this morning that our last name dies with my generation. Well, in our branch, anyway. My dad had four siblings - two older sisters and two younger sisters. My brother was similarly stuck between my sister and me. I never had any "Wolfe" cousins. In fact, I don't actually know any Wolfe relatives. They're out there. But I don't know them.

My brother and his wife have two girls, and unless there is some big surprise, they're done. Now, I know that one of their girls could choose to keep her last name and give her son the last name Wolfe, but in all reality, that's not very likely.

This realization made me wish, momentarily, that I had chosen to give Justin my maiden name. Choosing his last name was actually my most difficult decision, as far as names go. I ended up going with May so that we would all be the same, and I don't regret that decision. If he wants to change that in the future, that is perfectly fine with me. I suppose he could choose to change it to Wolfe and keep the name going, but somehow I don't think he will do that either. I suspect, that if he does opt to change it, he will go with Myhre. But that's a decision for another day.

Today, it looks like our Wolfe branch will soon be done, at least by last name. It makes me a little bit sad.

1 comment:

  1. This was an issue with my ex as well. Nolan is the only boy with the McC ormick last name. He's it for his generation.

    ReplyDelete