Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I'd Rather...

I'd Rather
- by Caleb May

I'd rather change a diaper,
I'd rather eat a fly.
I'd rather go to summer school,
Or be a robber guy.

I'd rather have a bunny ear,
I'd rather be a cat.
I'd rather be a circus clown,
I'd rather wear an ugly hat.

I'd rather be a skeleton,
I'd rather go and swirl.
I'd rather do most anything
Than be a girly girl.


I found this in the van today. Caleb wrote it for school. He says it sucks, because he's way too hard on himself. I love it. :)

A couple of Saturdays ago, I worked with a girl I hadn't met before. About half-way through the shift, she said something to the extent of, "You seem pretty cool. You're not a girly girl." No, I most definitely am not. Now, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoy taking the odd time to dress up and go out. I like being treated like a lady now and then. I like it when someone tells me that I look nice today. But I don't worry about breaking a nail. I hate shopping (except for my one day in Arizona, and sometimes, grocery shopping - but that's just because it gets me out of the house alone). I don't spend an hour doing my hair and makeup every day. Rather, I would prefer playing a game of football to gossiping in the schoolyard. My activity of choice usually involves getting dirty and sweaty - on a mountain bike. I like action movies, not chick flicks. And the few chick flicks I really like, most guys like, too. Most of my closest friends growing up were guys. Still are. The girls that I get along with best are generally not girly girls either.

My girls aren't really girly girls either. Dani is more so, though I suspect it may just be a phase. I remember Charisma going through that for a time. Caleb doesn't care for girly girls, as you may have guessed. This makes sense - the female role model in their lives is not one.

I don't know what makes me this way. More testosterone than most women? Perhaps, but thankfully I am not sprouting a mustache and don't have an abnormally low voice. I don't really care why. All I know is that I'd rather do most anything than be a girly girl. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment