Thursday, July 15, 2010

Boy+bike+ego=snicker.

I have to admit that, in the cycling world, I'm really nothing special. However, as a triathlete, and as a commuter, I'm pretty darn fast. Not the fastest, but fast. Which often leads to amusement during commutes and races, due to the male egotism that I encounter.

Now, granted, there are a LOT of guys out there who are legitimately faster than I am, and I'm ok with that. But I have to snicker a little when guys just assume that they should be faster than me, solely based on gender. Today, I got the pleasure of that snicker twice.

It's shortly after 7am, and I'm casually biking to work, trying not to work too hard because I don't want to start the day all sweaty and gross, and besides, I have to train later. There's a guy riding on the sidewalk, hands in his pockets, no helmet...I'll save that whole rant for another day...and as I ride by, I hear, "Ooohhhh...a passer!" I mumble under my breath, "Well, you're not exactly going all that fast." Then suddenly, this bike flies by as if all hell were in pursuit, racing through a red light (again, saving for another rant). I shake my head, and carry on. A couple of lights later, I saw the same rider, all tired out. I would have easily overtaken him, except one of us turned off. Congrats buddy. You passed me.

On my way home. I'm stopped at a red light. A cyclist comes up from behind me, and positions himself in front of me. I have realized that looks can be deceiving (there's this one guy who rides a recumbent bike who can fly by me - drives me nuts!), but this guy does not look like he has what it takes to stay in front. The light turns green. I have a bit of trouble clipping back in, so my acceleration isn't great, but it still takes me only about half a block to catch up to him, and then be forced to dawdle behind him. Thankfully, there was room to pass him at the next light as he started talking on his cell phone (yes, another rant). I never saw him again.

I know I'm not the only female who experiences this. You can read my friend's story here. Yes boys, girls can be fast, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment