Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hello, Darkness

"Hello Darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again." - Simon & Garfunkel, The Sound of Silence

Funny how quickly they can return, those demons.  A virtually sleepless night.  An unresolved disagreement with my husband who, for whatever reason, has yet to tell me he loves me today.  Kids arguing.  The stress of facing the day ahead.

24 hours ago, life was good.  I was tired, but life was good.  That was my mindset.  Today the demons have returned.  "Is life really worth it?  Wouldn't it be easier if you just weren't around?"  I can hear them in my mind, voices ranging from whispers to raging roars.  I know that, at least for now, I am helpless to silence them.  The best I can do is ignore them, hoping they will soon tire and leave me at peace once again.

It's strange.  As much as I despise the voices, there's a twisted comfort in them.  The battle is a familiar one, it is something I know.  Like the villain who brings meaning to the superhero.  But I'm no superhero.  Just a person looking to survive another day.

And I will.



No comments:

Post a Comment