Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Teenager in the House

My daughter just turned 13.  You know what she was looking forward to the most?  Getting Facebook.  Not being a teenager.  Not taking that one step closer to adulthood.  Facebook.

So she got her Facebook account.  Of course, I made her add me as a friend.  Actually, to be more correct, I added myself as her friend.  I was helping her set up her account, and there I was, so I clicked "Add Friend."  I don't stalk her, watching her every move, but I do check in from time to time to see what is up on her page.

What I have noticed is that my little girl is growing up.  Now, obviously I have know this for a long time. The girl is my height, has bigger feet than I do, no longer has a stick figure and has been borrowing my clothes for over a year now.  We go hang out together, and have real discussions.  But there's something different about watching the interactions between her and her friends.  Seeing a discussion about whether or not a boy called her sexy. (I'm going out to buy a gun tomorrow, by the way.)  Realizing that she is slowly but surely (and yet far too quickly) moving into womanhood.

It'll be an interesting few years, I'm sure.  Fun, exciting, frustrating, scary.  And on the other side, I'll realize how few the years actually were.

You know what else is scary?  Now that she has Facebook, she'll likely find my blog.  Not sure how I feel about that...

Happy birthday, Charisma.  Love you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Terri! I know 13 for me will be here before I know it.

    ReplyDelete