Monday, August 22, 2011

Life with J, My Innovative One

I was enjoying my morning shower when I heard a knock on the door.

"Yes?"  I heard some mumbling, making it clear that it was my 3-almost-4-yr old on the other side.  "I'm sorry, sweetie.  I can't hear you."  Some more mumbling, then silence.  Deciding that there was no crisis, I continued enjoying my shower.

A few minutes later there was another knock.

"Yes, honey?"  I turned the shower off so I could hear better.

"I did it all by myself."

"What did you do all by yourself?"

"I put chocolate milk in my cup."

"You did?"

"Yes."

At this point, all sorts of images popped up in my mind, but I decided that any catastrophe that was going to take place had already happened, so there was no point in panicking.

When I got out, I thought I would survey the damage.  To my surprise, not a drop had been spilled, and the milk had even been put away.

All the mess that there was - just the chair that he used to get his cup from the cupboard.  :)
I have learned that I have a very independent and innovative son.  Here are some of his recent adventures:
At camp when I didn't get him food when he was hungry.  I think he went for chocolate chip cookies, but couldn't get them.  Seems he decided that a box of Cheerios was a close second.  By the way, when I asked him if he was sleeping, he said, "No, I'm dead."


What I found in the kitchen this morning.  Note the peanut butter lid on the counter, but the lack of the jar.  I went on a search to find this...
It seems that peanut butter tastes great right out of the jar.  I took it away and made him a sandwich instead.

He can also load and play Lego Star Wars on the PS3 all by himself, including choosing levels and characters.  I imagine if we taught him his password for Webkins, he would be able to get on there on his own as well.  He has been known to escape the yard to go across the street to play at the park.  Stools and chairs are tools to reach what others don't feel like getting for him (or in some cases, don't think he should have).

Yes, life is an adventure with him, but I can't think of any reason to have it any other way.  After all, it's this kind of thinking that will take him places.  Look out world...

No comments:

Post a Comment