Saturday, July 16, 2011

Not As I Do

This is the email I would have sent the Winnipeg Police Service, except for the fact that they don't take complaints via email.  I will be printing it off and bringing it in then, I guess.


To whom it may concern,

Generally speaking, I am happy with the police service that we have in Winnipeg.  I am grateful that, for the most part, our police officers are out there doing their best to ensure public safety.  However, I have become sick and tired of watching officers blatantly violating the laws (in this case, traffic laws) that they ensure everyone else upholds.

In May, I witnessed a police officer driving south down McPhillips, talking on his cell phone, and not with a hands-free device.  I took the unit information down, but never got around to reporting it.  I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

Last night as I was coming home, a police car made a right turn out of the Tim Hortons parking lot onto Hull Ave.  There is a very obvious no right turn sign there (and I would expect the officers are familiar with the area).  They were clearly in no emergency, for they continued down Hull at 40-45km/hr.  They simply couldn't be bothered to obey the traffic laws that they would have eagerly ticketed anyone else for disobeying.

Today, a little over an hour ago, I was walking home from the park with my children.  As I waited for the stragglers across the street, a police unit heading north on St. George approached the four way stop and turned onto Fernwood, without stopping.  It didn't even resemble a stop - they only slowed down to turn.  Again, it was clear that there was no emergency, as their was no sense of urgency in their driving.  This corner is right by St. George School, and it is not uncommon for children to be playing in the area (as mine were at the time).  It is bad enough that the general public does not respect the stop signs at that corner, never mind a police officer who should be setting an example.

I understand that there are times when the police have to break traffic laws in order to do their jobs; however, in none of these situations was that the case.  Rather, those who should be setting the best example are setting the worst.  It certainly does not bring respect upon the profession by those who witness them.

Although (sadly) I don't expect that anything will be done about any of these situations, please inform your officers that they are there to not only ensure others obey the law, but to set an example through their own actions.  It frustrates me that I have to witness this disrespect for the law, and am more or less incapable of doing anything besides write this email.  I would hate to think we live with a "do as I say, not as I do" law enforcement team.

Thank you for your time.

1 comment:

  1. What about when officers want to get through a red light so they just put on their flashing lights, go through the intersection, and then resume driving casually. I can appreciate that there are probably lots of circumstances that I'm not aware of and shouldn't judge, etc, but it's hard not to notice stuff like that. Your complaint is well-written.

    ReplyDelete